Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

I'm not making a New Year's Resolution


You have already broken your New Year's Resolution, haven't you?

One of the definitions of resolution is "a firm decision to do or not to do something." The other one, "the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter" doesn't really apply in this area. 

A resolution is a firm decision.  Firm. Unwavering. Unbreakable decision

Unless it takes place around the beginning of a new year.

Then it can be summed up in two words: "Definite Maybe."

Every year I struggle to keep my New Year's Resolution. I usually make it about 15-20 hours into the new year before I break.  Then I feel that I have let myself down and once the resolution is broken, it is all over. 

This year I decided to do something different. 
This year I decided that I am not making a New Year's Resolution.  
This year I am making a New Year's Renewal.

What is a New Year's Renewal? It is something I made up.  

You see a renewal is defined as "an instance of resuming an activity or state after an interruption."
Basically, it resumes after it is stopped or broken.
Something that is renewed is something that gets back on track after it has been derailed.

I know that I am going to mess up. I am going to eat that chocolate cream-filled donut while I am trying to stay healthy. I am going to watch YouTube videos instead of organizing my desk. I will find other things to do instead of cleaning out the shed and I will probably begin more projects rather than finish the ones that I have started. 

But that is the beauty of a New Year's Renewal.  As soon as it is broken, it renews itself. It is self-healing. (Kind of like Wolverine from the Xmen, but not nearly as hairy.)

It says, "Yes, you didn't follow through, but it is time to start again, and again, and again".

It can be renewed any month, any day, any hour, any minute, or any nanosecond.  

So that is what I am doing this year.
I already have to renew my first one: Get more sleep. 

Good Night




No comments:

Post a Comment